Nineteen
There is a fly in my room. His name is Ancestor. I named him Ancestor because he (she?) has been here for about a month. Flies do not usually live that long, my friend. Also, I don't think he ever leaves my room - besides which, he has died a time or two. Once, for instance, I found him drowned next to my sink. I shook my head sadly and said, "Oh, Ancestor." But when I went back for him the next morning, he was gone, and that afternoon or the next day there was Ancestor, flying around me like always.

He's an inoffensive little fly, not a house fly by any means. He doesn't buzz or distract. He just flies by me, keeping his little compound eyes on me. He's become something of a comfort, really.

But anyway, there is no way an ordinary fly would live in solitude in my room for weeks on end and be resurrected several times. Obviously he is the spirit of one of my predecessors here to watch over me and comfort me, and guardian things of that nature. So I named him Ancestor, and here he is.

I just thought maybe you would like to know that.
0 Responses

Post a Comment